"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." — Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Friday, April 1, 2011

March Rejects

Please note: Links pointing to Amazon contain my affiliate ID. Sales resulting from clicks on those links will earn me a percentage of the purchase price. So buy and read now!

I try to give each book at least 50 pages, but with so many great books out there (and two book clubs a month), I want to spend my time reading books I actually enjoy. I'd rather not spend time writing full reviews on books I Did Not Finish. This list includes the books I picked up and rejected in March:

Exit Strategy by Kelley Armstrong
Summary: A ex-cop turned assassin tracks down a serial killer.
This book was so disappointing. I adore Kelley Armstrong and could have sworn that I would love anything she wrote. This book (apparently first of a series) was slow, with cliched characters and no plot impetus. The trainee assassin falls in love with her mentor, aging mafia men send out a hit on them, red herrings here and there. I kept trying, but couldn't stick with it.

Waiting for White Horses by Nathan Jorgenson
Summary: The long friendship between two Minnesota men is tested and strengthened.
The woman who lasers my bikini line recommended this book to me, but reading this book was like getting zapped in my brain instead. It's a novel about the friendship between two men who met in dental school. It's based in Minnesota and I hoped I could appreciate it for that. I've also been looking for a novel that my husband and I could read together and both enjoy. This is NOT it. There are many scenes about duck hunting, with very specific references to blinds, decoys, equipment and breeds of ducks. The characters seem so similar despite the author's valiant attempt to make them unique from each other. Perhaps that was because the writing is full of pronouns and I never knew which character he was referencing within the same paragraph. Their lives change when one of them gets a phone call from the President of the United States. I didn't care enough about the characters to read beyond that.

The Seven Year Bitch by Jennifer Belle
Summary: A unhappy stay-at home mother hires a nanny, has an affair and gets pregnant.
Enough already with the married moms who have affairs! I'm so sick of this as a theme. While it's true that a majority of women file for divorce first, it's the men who have the affairs. So in some sort of twisted version of feminism, women authors think it's okay for their women characters to have affairs - as if it will make them equal to men.  The character's name is Isolde Brilliant. Puh-leeze. A tragic old-fashioned first name and a sparkling last name do NOT an enjoyable book make.

No comments:

Post a Comment