"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." — Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Friday, May 13, 2011

StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce

Please note: Links pointing to Amazon contain my affiliate ID. Sales resulting from clicks on those links will earn me a percentage of the purchase price. So buy and read now!

Summary: A clever thief is hiding as a ladies' maid in a snow-bound castle in this excellent young adult fantasy novel.

This young adult fantasy novel was one of the best novels I've read. It combines so many elements that I absolutely adore - teen novel, moral conflict, magic, politics, danger and a fast-moving plot. I thought the writing was excellent.
"It was the perfect night to drive us all inside; the heavy sky had finally resigned itself to rain - an ugly, sleety mess that made the roaring fire very welcome. I fingered the beaded trim of my bodice. Tart me up like a lady-in-waiting, but I was still a street thief from Gerse at heart, counting the rings on my neighbors' fingers, the exits in the room." 
This sentence tells so much.  Digger escapes from the Greensmen, the Kings' Guard, and hides with four nobles. She ends up as the maid to Lady Merista, and is snowbound in the castle with the family's guests. Everyone thinks Digger is Lady Celyn and they are unaware of her secrets. Until one guest recognizes Digger and her talents, and blackmails her into spying on the family for him. The tension, the danger, the secrets just keep building and building. I won't give much away, but this book was fabulous! I immediately looked for the sequel on my Nook, but it's not available yet. I am eagerly awaiting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment