"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." — Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Saturday, March 27, 2010

What Is the What by Dave Eggers

Please note: Links pointing to Amazon contain my affiliate ID. Sales resulting from clicks on those links will earn me a percentage of the purchase price. So buy and read now!


Summary: A Sudanese immigrant recalls his life as a child soldier and his struggle to escape his past.


I know I have trouble with non linear books, but I found myself going, "What? What? What?"

When I wasn't cringing at the descriptions of brutality, I was sighing over human stupidity and Valentine's naivety. I sure there have to be better books of child soldiers and immigrants.

I also don't care for Eggers' writing style and that fact that this is a "fictionalized autobiography" much in the vein in James Frey, well, either be fiction or non-fiction, not that amorphous category that is neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment