"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." — Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Friday, February 19, 2010

An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination by Elizabeth McCracken

Please note: Links pointing to Amazon contain my affiliate ID. Sales resulting from clicks on those links will earn me a percentage of the purchase price. So buy and read now!


Summary: A woman remembers her stillborn baby and her grief while carrying her second child. 


Wow. I expected to be moved to tears by a woman writing of her stillborn child's birth. Instead I was bored to tears. Where was the pathos, the pain, the anguish, the joy crushed? I've never read anything by the author and I never want to. I've read ads more interesting than this book.

A big disappointment. I know you're thinking, "Clare, the woman's baby dies! This is supposed to be a good story?" But I've read tragedies that moved me -
The Shiniest Jewel, for example is one of the best stories about adoption you will ever read - and I've read boring mommy blogs - you are the best thing that ever happened to me I love you so much yada yada- and both were far more compelling than this book

No comments:

Post a Comment